Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Fashion Yes??!!

For years my husband has been wearing his trademark, self implemented uniform of your basic blue jeans and a plain white t-shirt. The beauty in this, he says, is that you never have to think about what you're going to wear. You just open the drawer, pick any white shirt, any pair of pants and of course all the socks are white so it all goes nicely together. Dressed in 30 seconds - ta-dah! Little did I know he was about to become a fashion icon.

A few years ago I went to the local Fall Foliage Festival with my mom. This is a craft packed place few men dare to go. When we arrived I realized that the weather was a little more brisk than I had anticipated so I dug around in the trunk of my car and found said husband's old brown work coat. It even had his name embroidered above the pocket, which was ripped. The coat was a little stained. Afterall, it WAS a work coat. There were a few rips & snags on it. I put it on figuring no one would notice in the crowd.

As we were browsing, the proprietor of one booth, a pretty young women in her late 20's who looked like she was not a native of Around Here, told me she liked my coat. I did not appreciate the sarcasm, as I've always believed it to be in bad taste to make fun of those who are less fortunate, in this case, me. I didn't know why she'd bother to ridicule me so I just stared at her like she was nuts. Then she asked me where I got it. I told her it was my husbands work coat. Then she told me she LOVED it and turned to her friend who was also now beginning to fuss over me. "Look!" she said, "It's even DISTRESSED!" Knock me over with a feather. Then she went on to ask if I knew how much coats like this were worth, because where she comes from, people will pay a fortune for one.

Needless to say I walked away laughing my head off. I couldn't wait to tell my husband he was in style. He said I should have charged her $75.00 and sold it to her.

Now I find that holey jeans are all the rage. Again. This comes and goes every generation for some reason. As I glanced through a recent Penney's flyer I showed the husband this season's latest fashion trend. Holey jeans are all he's got. Some are patched but the holes come through anyhow. He decided he'd open a boutique and sell all his clothes.

The other day I went to China-Mart to buy some t-shirts for work. I ended up with a pack of plain white t-s. They match everything and their cool in the sun. Best of all - dressed in 30 seconds - Ta-dah! The man knows his stuff.

No comments: